Resident Gardener – Maternity Cover – Isle of Mull.
Camas is a residential outdoor adventure centre set in a beautiful & remote bay on the Island of Mull with a focus on youth work (particularly with groups from disadvantaged backgrounds), community building, a simple lifestyle and an environmental ethos. We have an organic garden which produces food for the centre as well as being a learning resource.
We are looking for someone to join the resident staff team to help lead volunteer staff, operating of the centre and take specific responsibility for the upkeep and development of the garden including:
- Manage and maintain the Centre’s organic garden – woodland, tree nursery, wild garden areas, lazy beds and polytunnels seeing it through the whole season, from planting at the beginning of the year, to harvesting for our daily use, and then preparing the beds for the winter.
- Support both staff and guests to feel confident in being part of the daily upkeep of the garden, knowing when to pick and use the produce and teaching basic gardening skills.
- Running garden /environmental education sessions with our guests, often young people who have little or no experience of home grown food to help them understand the basics of gardening and enjoy and use the fruits of their labour.
- Manage and maintain, supporting the development of the garden and woodland as places for young people to explore and discover, perhaps as part of the John Muir Award.
- Overseeing the garden shed and tool care.
Deadline for applications 23:59 GMT Sunday 27 November 2016
Interviews will be held at the Camas Centre from Fri 16th – Sun 18th December. Candidates will need to arrive on Mull on Friday and not leave until Sunday.
Contract Start Date: 8th February 2017
Contract End Date: 4th November 2017
This position is a residential one, living as a member of the Iona Community and there is much more information about this job on their website. Please follow this link: https://iona.org.uk/2016/11/03/10999/#