manage a micro herd of cows, sheep and chickens on an agroecological regenerative smallholding in West Dorset alongside a farm manager and team
Louma manages a 37.25 ha site comprising grassland, vineyards, woodlands, landscaped areas, agroforestry and silvopastures, kitchen & herb gardens and lakes using sustainable and regenerative practices. Our vision for the future is to create a working farm & wellness retreat where memories are made together, with loved ones. We will become a UK destination where like-minded individuals, couples and families return time and time again.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an expanding team at the early stages of an exciting journey of building a farm and retreat. You will be responsible for the management of livestock, agroforestry and silvopastures integration. You will work closely with the Senior Executive Team with a view to ensuring efficient and sustainable agricultural and livestock management practices. You will be an integral part of the founding team striving to achieve the Company vision.
Working with, and directly reporting to the Managing Director, you will be involved in all aspects of livestock, agroforestry and silvopasture for the retreat.
Duties will include:
- All aspects of livestock management – sheep, cattle, cows, chickens and bees
- Management of agroforestry and silvopastural livestock integration
- Management of meat production processes for both sale and use within the retreat
- Helping with hay making
- Setting up the farm for livestock – sheds, troughs, livestock fences, feed stocks, water supply
- Managing manure and helping to spread where needed
- Purchasing livestock where necessary including researching
- Maintain livestock equipment including fencing together with the Groundskeeper
- Managing farm tenants where necessary
- Record keeping for all livestock and farm management including all necessary testing
- General farm management with the rest of the team
- Generally support the Louma team where required
- Agricultural qualification would be desirable but not necessary
- Experience with horses would be desirable but not necessary
The position would suit a person with organic/sustainable farming and livestock experience. To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate a strong organic and sustainable agricultural background with experience in adhering to government regulations and practical elements of running a small holding. Have a strong attention to detail, show that you can work on your own initiative and as part of a team. You will need to be motivated, an excellent time keeper and have the ability to create and maintain good working relationships as well as:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in an organic/sustainable land and livestock management role
- Tractor driving skills
- Experience of working with livestock
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and creating, managing and communicating budget
- Experience negotiating, managing and working with team members as the company grows
- Knowledge of record keeping requirements for a small holding; including Health & Safety practices
- Full eligibility to work in the UK
- A valid UK driving licence
- Good skills with Microsoft software packages, in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good written and spoken English
- A strong and proven work ethic
- Decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, whether with the employer, other colleagues or the public
The employers are a family who are living out a lifelong passion to develop a farm and retreat business with a vineyard. There is an expanding team already in place and you will join as part of the founding team. This is an exciting time for the project. We are enthusiastic, hardworking, dynamic, creative and like to do things well and with integrity.
You will join a hardworking and motivated team who are supportive and collaborative, whilst at the same time focused on delivering their individual responsibilities. You will have the opportunity to learn new skills as well as develop existing ones. This is an exciting time to be joining the business as you will have the opportunity to grow with us and have an input on how we operate.
- Competitive salary package
- Company Pension Scheme membership
- Life Assurance cover
Start Date: Between August and September 2022
Closing Date For Applications: 1st July 2022
To apply for this job click here.